The main objective of this meeting was to provide initial input on the formulation of the two year action plan with specific activities and achievable targets by the public and private sectors as well as local disaster risk reduction non-governmental organizations.
The Advisory Working Group members' participation is based on their expertise and expressed voluntary interest in carrying out this responsibility as an individual. The members worked in groups as well in plenary and carried out an in-depth review of the terms of reference and the revised draft regional plan.
The private sector working group comprises a mix of sectors and expertise engaged in various aspects of business across the region, the members are:
1) Mrs. Sandra Wu, Kokusai Kogyo - Japan
2) Mr. Henry Ee, Business Continuity Planning Asia - Singapore
3) Ms. Sayanaa Lkhagvasuren, Center for Asia Pacific Partnership - Mongolia
4) Mr. Bert van Walbeek, Safehotels Alliance - Thailand
5) Dr. Kavintheran Thambiratnam, Malaysian Industry-Government Group for High Technology
6) Mr. Nirankar Saxena, Senior Director, Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry
7) Mr. Andrew McElroy, UNISDR, Bangkok
This team mainly focused on formulating a concrete action plan for the next 2 years with tangible, measurable and achievable actions. The initial draft matrix developed by UNISDR secretariat was extensively discussed in respective groups and the matrix was revised considerably, specifically towards making it measurable and time-bound.
The 4 overall observations on the 2 years action plan are:
1. Need to highlight some tangible results within the next 2 years among many actions.
2. Key mandate of public sector to create enabling environment needs to be reflected
3. Move to strengthen collaboration between national/local governments to public sector.
4. The monitoring and evaluation of the regional plan and its actions need to be elaborated.
To turn those points from the present document into an actionable plan, several Skype meetings are planned before the next meeting on June 20- 21 in Bangkok.
Picture from left ti right: Henry Ee, Kavintheran Thambiratnam, Sayanaa Lkhagvasuren, Nirankar Saxena, Sandra Wu, Bert van Walbeek, Andrew McElroy.